Pages

Wednesday, June 20, 2012

SIGnificant Cards - Belated Father's Day Edition

I didn't get cards from my family this Father's Day. I couldn't believe it. I dropped hint, after hint, after hint about the Panini America promotion and just thought I'd score huge. Apparently my kids don't listen to me. I should have figured that out when I look around and see toys on the floor, cereal boxes on the table etc, etc.

Well, I took Father's day by the throat and said, "this is my holiday, and if you want something done right, you've got to do it yourself". I logged into the Panini site and purchased a box of Prime Signatures that would assure me at least one autographed card and 4 packs of their Father's Day promotion cards. My package arrived tonight. In fact it came while I was doing the Cardboard Connection Radio show.

We had a great show too. The return of Law of Cards with Paul Lesko was great, as was the segment with a young collector by the name of Salvatore Cerilli who is the winner of Upper Deck's Draft Runner Contest. We'll be meeting him in person as Cardboard Connection Radio will be broadcasting live from the event.

Anyhow, without straying too much, I pulled a great card out of the box of Prime Signatures, it was an Irving Fryar auto #'d to 20. Fryar was amazing. His time with the Patriots, the Skins, Dolphins and Eagles was well spent adding accolades and records to his resume. He holds the distinction of being the first Wide Receiver ever to be drafted #1 overall. An auto of a 5-time Pro Bowler and New Jersey native is a great addition to my collection. For my purchase of the Prime Signatures box, I received 4 packs of Father's Day cards. 3 packs included cards to the base set, and then I found this... I LOVE IT.


Growing up in New Jersey and New York for the first two decades of my life, I was deeply affected by the events of 9/11. Sports played a huge role in providing entertainment and an escape from the profound sadness that overcame me after seeing the horrific events unfold on September 11, 2001. On the 10th Anniversary (I hate using that word in this instance, as if we celebrate it) the NFL honored the fallen with a moment of silence and Panini has included some of the gear from those games in cards found in Father's Day packs. This Ryan Matthews insert contains a swatch from a ball used in the Chargers 9/11 game and the back of the card shows a photo of the actual ball the swatch was cut from.

As for the rest of my Father's Day, it was pretty good. I took the family to a water resort to celebrate the 5th birthday of my son, I got a couple of cool videos including the origin of the feud between Spider-Man and the Lizard that sets up the new Amazing Spider-Man movie and among other things, a box of Everlasting Gobstoppers. If you know me, you know I love those Wonka spheres of goodness.

How was your Father's Day?

No comments:

Post a Comment